Sex Trafficking Statistics

80% of human trafficking victims in Canada are Canadians.

Ibrahim, D. (2018, June 27). Trafficking in Persons in Canada, 2016 Retrieved from https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/85-005-x/2018001/article/54979-eng.htm

In the GTA, 79% of trafficking victims live in private residences, the remaining 21% live in group homes, hotels, foster homes or in shelter (Baird et al., 2020)

In the GTA, the research suggests five main modes of recruitment including online, through relationships, employment, nightlife, and as a stranger.  Based on the current sample, the most common way victims meet their trafficker is online. 36% report being recruited on websites such as, kjiji or Craigslist, or through social media accounts such as Instagram  or Facebook (Baird et al., 2020).

Ontario is a major centre for human trafficking in Canada, accounting for roughly 65% of police-reported cases nationally.

Peel Institute on Violence Prevention. (February, 2018). Human Trafficking in Canada, Ontario,

and Peel.

It is estimated that 60% of people who are trafficked in Canada are travelling along the 400 series of highways.

Nyznik, D. (2019, July 31). Video ads at OnRoute stops to warn of human trafficking in Ontario.

Retrieved from https://globalnews.ca/news/5703229/video- onroute-stops-human-trafficking-ontario/

The province of Ontario has been identified as a major hub for sex trafficking, with 75% of Ontario's cases occurring within the Greater Toronto Area

(Baird et al., 2020). 

paul-hanaoka-HbyYFFokvm0-unsplash.jpg

Join the Fight to End Sexual Exploitation and Trafficking in our Community. 

You can help impact the lives of trafficked survivors in our Community by giving a financial commitment that will go towards the provisions, opportunities and programming of Elora House. ​

Below are a few of the many ways that your gift will make an impact in the life of a survivor at Elora House. 

Whether a monthly commitment or a one time gift, every donation matters.